Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Duvet Cover

So I noticed the other day that there are a bunch of tiny holes in the duvet cover that was on my bed. I am assuming they got there from Tonka the puppy. So I decided I would make myself a new one. I had seen this pattern for a duvet cover in the book In Stitches by Amy Butler and I decided I would attempt to make it. The only problem was that it was going to take a ton of fabric because it consisted of a background patchwork and then a ton of oval appliqués. I don't have that much money right now so I decided to just not do the oval appliqués. I ended up heading over to Joann's fabric without any idea of what color scheme I even wanted to go with. I was just looking for an inspiration fabric and then I would go from there. At first I was looking in the blues, greens and browns and then out of the corner of my eye I spotted the purple birds. As soon as I spotted them I knew this was the fabric. I loved the birds so much and thought lime green would be a good pairing. Anyway I had a lot of fun picking out the fabric and am pleased with how it all turned out. It actually turned out better than I expected. For the back I was just going to do green and purple strips until I accidentally cut the fabric wrong and am happy I did because I love how it turned out. I used flannel on the back so that it is extra cozy. I also sewed some ribbon to the inside of the duvet and to my down comforter. I can tie the ribbon together and then the comforter won't bunch inside. I was always having that problem with my other duvet cover and it was very annoying. Anyway it was so nice to sew something for myself for once and this was a great project to start off my year of sewing.

The Fabric
Photobucket

Finished and on my bed. Oh I love how it turned out. Now I just need to make some pillowcases to match and maybe a throw pillow or two
Photobucket

The top
Photobucket

The bottom
Photobucket

Closeup of the Fabrics
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Great Job!! I really like that bird fabric. It would make such a cute dress too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful work and fabrics :

    ReplyDelete